Autumn Fungi Photography with Luke O’Brien
Photography Retreat: 4 Days / 3 Nights
15th to 18th May 2023 -enrolments now closed! But ask if you wish to be placed on a waiting list for the next workshop-retreat.
Luke believes a good photograph can move the viewer not only to see what it is that the photographer sees, but also to encourage and inspire the viewer to see these scenes for him or herself. He wants his work to inspire motivation for conserving, appreciating and understanding our natural world.
Where is the art retreat?
Tin Dragon Cottages in North East Tasmania in the heart of North East Tasmania is a beautiful natural setting for a cosy creative photography workshop. So, you will find your “inner artist” in a relaxed, safe and creative environment. We are taking just 8 participants (minimum four), so you can experience personal one-on-one photography tuition in the field and in our purpose-built workshop space.
The live-in (only) art workshop is suitable for anyone 18 years or older. Regardless of your photography skills and experience you will find this workshop both very relaxing and exciting. In fact the retreat will be as challenging as you want it to be.
You will need to have moderate fitness in order to carry your camera equipment on some easy to moderate short walks.
Although we are only enroling eight participants, we als0 encourage partners to attend. We won’t charge non-partcipating partners for the cost of the photography tuition.
What is provided for the photography retreat?
- 3 nights accommodation with a variety of cottages to choose from
- Transport to & from Launceston
- Day tours in our bus
- All meals from Monday night dinner to Thursday lunch and morning and afternoon tea/coffee each day. The final night will feature a river-side BBQ (weather permitting). BYO alcohol for the entire trip.
Accommodation is on site at Tin Dragon Trail Cottages. Ah Moy cottage can accommodation up to four persons (shared bathroom, 2 couples); Ah Ping cottage can accommodate up to four persons (shared bathroom, 1 couple, 2 singles); three studio spa cottages are for couples, or singles and the Settlers Hut can accommodate up to four persons in single bunk beds (shared bathroom).
What is not provided for the retreat?
- Non-scheduled Launceston shuttles. We are unable to offer more than one shuttle on the day of arrival/departure. However, you are welcome to make your own way to Tin Dragon Cottages. But please let us know your travel plans when you register.
- Guests will need to provide their own lunches or snacks during shuttle transfers on Monday and Friday.
- Beverages. In general, guests are responsible for purchasing their own beverages, including any alcoholic drinks.
- Travel insurance
About the photography workshop
Monday 15th to Thursday 18th May 2023
Please note that this itinerary is a guide only and we may need to change it to accommodate the needs of the group, our Photographer or weather conditions.
Monday May 15th 2023: Depart from Launceston to Branxholm by 13:30
Our driver will pick you up either from the Launceston Airport or from your hotel. From there we may take you on the scenic route to Tin Dragon Cottages, via a vineyard or olive farm, over the mountians or via the beach… However, the exact drive will depend on your preferences, group size and other factors…
But we should reach Tin Dragon Cottages in time for you to settle in to your cottage and be ready for a short tour. Your host–Graham–will take you for a short walking tour of our farm, including our renewable energy systems, Chinese tin-mining history and forest-bathing experience.
In the evening we will be serving Tasmanian wines and cheeses on the deck. Here, Luke O’Brien will provide a full overview of the workshop. If it is a clear night, you may wish to accompany Luke for a night-sky shoot after dinner.
Workshop: Tuesday 16th to Thursday 18th May 2023
Each tutorial day begins at 9:00.
Tuesday Day 1-Exploring the tin-mining history. On our drive to the iconic Mt Paris Dam and Little Blue Lake we will showcase some of the tin-mining history of North East Tasmania. We are also hoping to take a short walk into the pristine rainforest of the Rattler Range. But this will be conditional on the road being in a good state.
Wednesday Day 2-Forests and waterfalls. Today, you will have plenty of opportunity to photograph forest fungi when we visit the Weldborough Pass myrtle rainforest and St Columba Falls in the morning. Then, in the afternoon, we will walk to the Blue Tier Giant.
Weldborough Pass is a very easy 10 minute walk. The St Columba Falls walking track is a good standard, but steep. However, it has several seats for you to rest, if needed! The 3.2km Big Tree circuit is also a well-formed track and is an easy to moderate walk.
Thursday Day 3-Forests and waterfalls. Our drive to Ralphs Falls in the morning will showcase temperate rainforest, an unusual single-drop waterfall and the unique geology of North East Tasmania. This is an easy walk. In the afternoon Luke O’Brien will finish up with a post-processing tutorial.
Thursday May 18th 2023: Transfers to Launceston by 16:00
Luke O’Brien – Photographer
A regular stall holder at Hobart’s well-loved Salamanca Market, Luke O’Brien als0 shares a gallery in Richmond. He has been photographing Tasmania’s wonderful natural environment for nearly two decades and has a large body of work including landscape, seascape, macro and the night sky.
This body of work not only includes well known Tasmanian landscapes such as Cradle Mountain and the east coast, but also images taken in more remote parts of Tasmania. Luke also has a large range of fascinating photos of the fungi found throughout the Tasmanian rainforest. as well as many photos from all over the state of the magnificent southern lights, or Aurora Australis.
He has also been running workshops all over Tasmania for more than 10 years now and is always excited to share his knowledge of photography out in the field amongst Tasmania’s stunning landscapes with his guests.
Luke produced his first book “Tasmania A Photographic Journey” in 2018 and has a range of prints, cards and an annual calendar which are all available through his website.
Book the Art Retreat & Workshop Holiday
Monday 15th to Thursday 18th May 2023
Price: $1950 PP Twin/Share (Includes cost of workshop).
Solo guests (entire cottage to yourself): $2600
Couple (in a studio spa cottage): $3800
Twin/share (in Ah Moy or Ah Ping cottages): $1950 **Only for two people travelling together
Budget share (Settlers Hut): $1700
**Non-participating partners save $300
Guests who are not taking part in the art workshop may like to view these suggested activities.
How to Book Your Place
When you have your group organised (or if you are coming on your own), you can book and pay for your place in the the workshop and your accommodation by making an enquiry (button below).
Enrolments are now closed – but please et us know if you wish to be placed on a waiting list for the next phtography workshop retreat.
Of course, you are also most welcome to contact us to make a booking for you (email@example.com; 040 750 1137). You can then pay on invoice.
If you are not ready to book, you may like to send us your contact details, so that you can stay informed about available places in the workshop.
What to bring
- Camera, tripod and accessories. Don’t forget chargers and spare batteries/memory cards!
- Lap-top computer with your favourite processing software (optional)
- Wet weather gear (for yourself and for your camera). Warm clothing and head-torch for the sunrise/sunset shoots. Sun protection.
- Comfortable hiking shoes (not sneakers).
- A full list of suggested items and a detailed itinerary will be forwarded to you during the booking process.
You can contact Luke O’Brien (email: firstname.lastname@example.org 04488 50077) if you have further questions about your equipment or the workshop.
Terms and Conditions
Deposit and payment conditions apply as follows:
- To secure your place you need to complete our reservation form. Then upon return email receipt of our invoice, you need to pay a $200 non-refundable deposit.
- The balance of the booking price is due on or before the 24th April 2023
- Failure to complete the payment on time means your reservation will be cancelled and your $200 deposit (administration fee) will not be returned or transferred.
- Payment can be made by EFT (only). Details are provded on the invoice.
Cancellation by Guest
If you wish to cancel your booking you must notify Tin Dragon Cottages in writing as soon as possible. Once Tin dragon Cottages receives your notice, cancellation will take effect subject to the following:
- Cancellation on/before 10th April 2023 – All payments less the $200 administration fee will be refunded or used as credit (less the administration fee) towards the cost of another retreat;
- Cancellation from 11th April to 24th April 2023 – 50% of payments less the $200 administration fee will be refunded; or 50% credit (less the administration fee) towards the cost of another retreat;
- Cancellation after 24th April 2023 – no refund and no credit.
No refund will be paid if you:
- voluntarily leave your retreat after it has commenced, including (without limitation) for reasons of bereavement, injury or illness; or
- are directed to leave by the retreat organisers due to antisocial behaviour.
Cancellation by Tin Dragon Cottages
If Tin Dragon Cottages must cancel a retreat for any reason you may receive a 100% refund, or transfer your booking to a future retreat. Tin Dragon Cottages will not be liable for any other participant expenses such as airline tickets, loss of work, and/or other costs associated with preparing for the retreat. Tin Dragon Cottages reserves the right to modify or adapt the retreat without notice in the interests of participant safety, because of adverse weather, changing government and health requirements, or other reasons.