Seascapes in Acrylics with John E Gibb
Painting Retreat: 3 Days / 4 Nights
Fri 17th to Tues 21st Nov 2023
** See photos and read more about John Gibbs last November (2022) Art Retreat.
Where is the art retreat?
Tin Dragon Cottages in North East Tasmania in the heart of North East Tasmania is a beautiful natural setting for a cosy painting workshop. So, you will find your “inner artist” in a relaxed, safe and creative environment. We are taking just 8 participants (minimum four), so you can experience personal one-on-one painting tuition in our purpose-built workshop space.
The art workshop is suitable for anyone 18 years or older. John is a very experienced artist and teacher, so this workshop will benefit everyone from beginner to advanced skill level.
However, you need no painting experience–just a desire to learn and achieve. This painting workshop is designed for those who are keen to learn to paint a seascape or landscape but have never had the opportunity or encouragement to do so, before now!
While the art workshop is limited to 8 participants, partners are also encouraged to attend the retreat. Partners, not participating in the workshop, will not be charged for tuition. **There are places available for day-only students (see below).
What is provided for the art retreat?
- Scheduled airport shuttle to/from Launceston Airport (or Launceston Transit Centre) and accommodation for linve-ion students
- All materials and equipment needed for the workshop are provided for all students
- Art tuition for the three-day workshop for all students
- 4 nights accommodation with a variety of cottages and prices to choose from budget solo (in a shared hut), shared two-bedroom cottages to solo (whole spa cottages to yourself)
- All meals from Friday night dinner to Tuesday morning breakfast and morning and afternoon tea/coffee each day. The final night will feature a river-side BBQ (weather permitting).
- Mid-meals, teas/coffee and lunch is included for day-only registrations
Accommodation is on site at Tin Dragon Trail Cottages. Ah Moy cottage can accommodation up to four persons (shared bathroom, 2 couples); Ah Ping cottage can accommodate up to four persons (shared bathroom, 1 couple, 2 singles); three studio spa cottages are for couples, or singles and the Settlers Hut can accommodate up to four persons in single bunk beds (shared bathroom).
What is not provided for the retreat?
- Non-scheduled Launceston shuttles. We are unable to offer more than one shuttle on the day of arrival/departure. However, you are welcome to make your own way to Tin Dragon Cottages. But please let us know your travel plans when you register.
- Beverages. In general, guests are responsible for purchasing their own beverages, including any alcoholic drinks.
- Travel insurance
- Guests may book and pay for an optional day-tour with Pepperbush Adventures on the final day of the retreat.
About the art workshop
The workshop involves producing a painting from start to finish using ideas gleaned from digital images of Binnalong Bay, Bay of Fires coastline. So the theme is coastal, with an emphasis on water and rocks.
It is an intensive, yet relaxed, workshop that uses the eco-friendlier medium of acrylic paint. Each participant is taken through the various stages of producing a seascape painting. This involves canvas preparation, composition and perspective principles as well as the many techniques of application.
Art retreat itinerary
Please note that this itinerary is a guide only and may need to be changed to accommodate the needs of the group, our Artist, weather conditions or other reasons.
Friday: Depart from Launceston to Branxholm by 13:30
Our driver will pick you up either from the Launceston Airport, your hotel or the Launceston Transit Centre. From there we may take you on the scenic route to Tin Dragon Cottages, via a vineyard or olive farm, over the mountians or via the beach… The exact drive will depend on your preferences, group size and other factors…
But we should reach Tin Dragon Cottages in time for you to settle in to your cottage and be ready for a short tour. Your host–Graham–will take you for a short walking tour of our farm, including our renewable energy systems, Chinese tin-mining history and forest-bathing experience.
In the evening we will be serving Tasmanian cheeses and wine on the deck, followed by dinner.
Each tutorial day begins at 9:00 and concludes at 17:00.
Saturday Day 1-Bay of Fires Inspiration and Canvas Preparation.
John will demonstrate how to prepare and transfer ideas onto the canvas. You will also learn to paint by using acrylic paints, and how to start a painting.
Sunday Day 2-Building the painting. Today, you will continue with your painting. John will be demonstrating and providing one-on-one personal tuition.
Monday Day 3-Finishing techniques. On the final day, you will complete your painting! Finally, John will review the course and provide suggestions for framing your completed art works.
Tuesday: Depart Branxholm to Launceston. Today some guests will enjoy the optional tour with our partners, Pepper Bush Adventures Wilderness Tours– Best Waterfalls in Tasmania, leaving at 10:00. (Guests need to pre-book and pay for this tour, separately)
For our other guests it will be a day of relaxing and exploring. Then at 16:00 our driver will return everyone to Launceston by 17:30.
John E Gibb
Born at Hobart in 1953, John spent his first years in the small mining town of Rossarden on the slopes of Ben Lomond. From an early age his interest in art and painting was greatly encouraged by his teachers and parents. He graduated from the Tasmanian College of Advanced Education and the Tasmanian School of Art in 1975. He taught visual art at secondary schools in Tasmania for 20 years before retiring in 1995 to concentrate on painting.
It was his appreciation of the watercolourist, Hans Heysen, that inspired him to to take up watercolour-painting. This became a passion that continued to flourish during his years of teaching and beyond. Ultimately, this passion resulted in several awards in Tasmania as well as the mainland.
For many years John has been profoundly deaf. However after a successful cochlear implant in 2001, John refocused his passion into painting with acrylics. This is a medium that has allowed him a greater freedom of expression. Today John’s artworks continue to reflect his deep love for the natural beauty of Tasmania. His individual approach to realism, and fastidious attention to detail in his search for the Tasmanian equation, give his art works a depth and quality sought after by many.
John’s more than 30 years of teaching and encouraging others to realise their potential in painting, means his practical and informative workshops are highly sought by those wishing to learn to paint – or to improve their painting technique.
John lives with his wife, Liz in Scottsdale, Tasmania. His work can be viewed at the Scottsdale Art Gallery café.
For those with a Facebook account, you can see more of John’s paintings and learn more about him on his public facebook page.
Book the Art Retreat & Workshop Holiday
Price: $2099 PP Twin/Share (Includes cost of workshop).
Solo guests (entire cottage to yourself, 5 cottages): $2750 (per person)
Couple (in a studio spa cottage, 3 cottages): $4490 (per couple)
Twin/share (in Ah Moy or Ah Ping cottages): $4198 (per two persons)
Budget solo or share (Settlers Hut, 4 bunk beds): $1799 (per person)
Day-only students (3 days, no accommodation) : $600 (per person)
**Non-participating partners save $350
**10% discount for registration paid in full on/before Friday 25th August 2023
Guests who are not taking part in the art workshop may like to view these suggested activities.
How to Book Your Place
When you have your group organised (or if you are coming on your own), you can book and pay for your place/s in the the workshop and your accommodation by clicking on making an enquiry (button below). Please note that a $200 non-refundable deposit is required to secure your place.
Of course, you are also most welcome to contact us to make a booking for you (email@example.com; 040 750 1137). You can then pay on invoice.
If you are not ready to book, you may like to send us your contact details, so that you can stay informed about available places in the workshop.
Terms and Conditions
Deposit and payment conditions apply as follows:
- To secure your place you need to complete our reservation form. Then upon return email receipt of our invoice, you need to pay a $200 non-refundable deposit.
- 10% discount is applied to registrations paid in full on/before 25th August 2023
- The balance of the booking price is due on or before the 13th Oct 2023.
- Failure to complete the payment on time means your reservation will be cancelled and your $200 deposit (administration fee) will not be returned or transferred.
- Payment can be made by EFT (only). Details provded on the invoice.
Cancellation by Guest
If you wish to cancel your booking you must notify Tin Dragon Cottages in writing as soon as possible. Once Tin dragon Cottages receives your notice, cancellation will take effect subject to the following:
- Cancellation before 13th Oct 2023 – All payments less the $200 administration fee will be refunded or used as credit (less the administration fee) towards the cost of another retreat;
- Cancellation from 14th Oct to 10th Nov 2023 – 50% of payments less the $200 administration fee will be refunded; or 50% credit (less the administration fee) towards the cost of another retreat;
- Cancellation after 10th Nov 2023 – no refund and no credit.
No refund will be paid if you:
- voluntarily leave your retreat after it has commenced, including (without limitation) for reasons of bereavement, injury or illness; or
- are directed to leave by the retreat organisers due to antisocial behaviour.
Cancellation by Tin Dragon Cottages
If Tin Dragon Cottages must cancel a retreat for any reason you may receive a 100% refund, or transfer your booking to a future retreat. Tin Dragon Cottages will not be liable for any other participant expenses such as airline tickets, loss of work, and/or other costs associated with preparing for the retreat. Tin Dragon Cottages reserves the right to modify or adapt the retreat without notice in the interests of participant safety, because of adverse weather, changing government and health requirements, or other reasons.